Art, Craft, Design
Art aims to
- Develop the valuable creative skills of lateral thinking
- Develop an appreciation of our natural and man-made environment
- Provide an encounter with the international non-verbal language through the study of great works of painting, sculpture and architecture.
Art trains the student in decision making, problem solving and in being thorough in following a task through to the end. It makes demands on self-discipline, and helps students to work in groups. Choosing Art as a Junior Certificate subject is desirable if one wishes to continue the subject to Leaving Certificate.
How will Art, Craft, Design be useful to me?
Many of the skills you learn while studying Art, Craft, Design are very useful outside of school and in whatever job you choose to do in the future. An Art portfolio is normally an essential requirement of all art courses. Leaving Certificate Art is desirable for college courses in art in areas such as photography, illustration, interior/industrial/fashion design, education and architecture.
What is the Art, Craft, Design Junior Certificate exam like?
In Art,Craft,Design, you will be examined in two ways:
• course-work – in third year, you will do a school-based project, chosen from a list of themes.You will research your theme, do preparatory work and complete a painting or graphic design, a craft piece, and a 3-D piece. You will relate your work to other artist’s work.
• an examination in which you will draw an object and a person.
You can take Art, Craft, Design at Higher or at Ordinary level.